Some big news out of Valve that we’ll get to at the meeting tonight:
The Steam Universe is Expanding, mostly into your Living Room:
- SteamOS – A new Linux-based operating system that’s free to download and install, that basically turns your PC into a TV game console.
- Steam Machines – A new class of hardware designed solely to run SteamOS. 300 beta prototype units will be distributed, the beta signup is open to everyone but you need:
- A public Steam Community Profile
- 10 friends on Steam
- A controller that you can hook up to your PC and play a game with in Big Picture mode (We’ll discuss this at the meeting)
- ??? – The third announcement is scheduled for 11 am Mountain time this Friday the 27th.
That’s all the announcements on the Steam side of things.
In other news, the newest Humble Bundle has been released and it is strictly for Android. So sorry iPhone users, you’re out of luck. The current batch includes:
- Punch Quest
- Bloons TD 5
- Star Command
- Time Surfer
Star Command and Time Surfer are apparently brand new games. If you pay above the average (typically around $5 USD) you also get
- Ravensword: Shadowlands
The Humble Weekly Sale is also up until tomorrow and it contains all of the games in the X Superbox bundle by Egosoft:
- X: Beyond the Frontier
- X2: The Threat
- X3: Reunion
Pay above $6 to also get:
- X3: Terran Conflict
- X3: Albion Prelude
- The bonus material contained in the X Superbox
I haven’t been mentioning this at all, but when you buy these bundles, you also gain access to extra content like Soundtracks. For example, you get the soundtracks to X: Terran Conflict and the upcoming X Rebirth with the current weekly bundle.
So all-in-all not a bad week for announcements. We’ll discuss some of these more in-depth at the meeting tonight.